She says she wants to live in a movie
I say I want someone else to stand behind me
And write it all down
'Cause I can't be bothered doing it myself
And I don't want the responsibility of proving its importance

Song of the Day

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Elements of Poker

So I just got Tommy Angelo's book, Elements of Poker, and I am enjoying it quite a bit. This is the first poker book I've ever read by someone who is a talented player and a talented writer (well, OK, first strategy book--I read Positively Fifth Street by Jim McManus long ago, and it was a very good book, but it was narrative first and foremost). Angelo's book is almost like a collection of poker proverbs. I like this one:

Low Hanging Fruit
Poker is a fruit tree. Money is the fruit. There are two ways to get the fruit. One way is to climb a tree, get all scraped up, risk falling out, pick some fruit, and climb down. Another way is to stand on the ground and pick the low-hanging fruit. The Professional knows how to climb a tree. But he rarely has to.

No comments: