She says she wants to live in a movie
I say I want someone else to stand behind me
And write it all down
'Cause I can't be bothered doing it myself
And I don't want the responsibility of proving its importance

Song of the Day

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Perspective

Interesting "poker" experience tonight -- came home from work, had dinner, didn't really feel like playing at all 'cause I'm kinda under the weather. Started reading 2p2 and came across some thread about this documentary called "Poker Bustouts." Seemed like everyone found it to be pretty hilarious, so I had to take a look, and OMG is it a classic. This is a documentary about poker "pros" in the classic sense of the word. Hilarious is an understatement. So many quotable lines, I wouldn't even know where to begin. My favorite was the old guy who wore a white fur coat and called himself the "best 3/6 limit player in the world."

After that, I was reading a bit more on 2p2, came across someone rambling about starting some blog to expose the "truth" about online poker--so of course I had to check it out. Dude writes like a mix between Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson's (OK, I've actually never read anything by Hunter S. Thompson, but I imagine it has to be just like this). A quote from just the beginning of his second blog entry,
Ok since I am fucking around in micro stakes online which is the most I will do, I thought I would put some thoughts down. Now when people talk to me about online poker I get many angles on this and I really hear some thoughtful and some down right stupid shit with respect to online poker from both sides. I sit at a table and talk to many live players and they are all convinced that online is a waste of time and rigged, fair enough because they are sitting there playing live. Then I hear from people playing online that it is rigged, ok fuckers if it is rigged and you hate it why are you knowingly risking your money and then bitching about it??? I mean online to me is like a carnival game and that is it, I don’t take them seriously and I don’t take online poker seriously. Sure I see some lucky ass who is walking around with the giant stuffed animal, so some guy won that is just awesome so does that mean I will win, odds are not good. Not to mention let’s look a little deeper into this, maybe he won shit and is hired to walk around with this stupid fucking stuffed animal and a girl? I mean good marketing you are really showing that you can win, and then getting your girl to say I want one of those carny humped bacteria filled stuffed animals, and like a douche bag there you are trying to win a prize. Well then the marketing worked, and yes you too can be a winner, and let’s face it every online tournament has a winner, so why not you? You can be the next Moneymaker, take a semi retarded online donk (99% of the online players) and make him the WSOP champion, now all the other players who suck dick at poker and rely on luck to save them from themselves believe they can be WSOP champ.
The blog is called Shoveit.com if anyone cares for a laugh (or a glimpse into the world of the mentally deranged).

So, this all got me thinking about how stupid the average person is and oh god we have a general election in 10 months to determine the next leader of the free world. Some days democracy seems like a worse idea than others (I can hear my brother in my head, "We don't have a democracy; we have a republic," but whatever--you get the point).

Anyway Pandora is playing some awesome country song right now (apparently it's Old Shoes by Tom Waits, never heard it before), so all is good here. This weekend is going to be very cold; I am hoping to stay inside and get a ton of hands in. Weekend poker is almost as good as holiday poker. I think the point of this post overall is that I have keep in mind that 90% of my opponents at the poker table are certain idiots or not far from it, and when I try to out-think them when they're not thinking of much at all, I just end up owning myself.

No comments: